A common question that people new to CBD ask is about the time that the compound takes to show effect. CBD, on an average, can take 2 to 6 hours to show its effects. There are a variety of factors that influence this duration though.
The time taken by CBD to work in the body depends on some key factors such as the form of CBD being used and the body’s absorption efficiency.
CBD vaping products, for example, enter the lungs directly after intake. This immediate absorption into the body makes CBD available to the body’s ECS or endocannabinoid system within a very short time.
Other factors affecting CBD absorption, bio-availability, and time for the results to take effect:
Form of CBD Intake
- Edible CBD products such as gummies need to pass through the digestive system before they can take effect. This makes it longer for CBD to show results.
- CBD drinks, for example, need to pass through the digestive system before they can take effect. The digestive system can take 2 to 5 hours to make CBD available to the body. As a result, it takes longer for the body to experience the effects of CBD.
Your body can take up to 48 hours to eliminate waste. You may feel the effects of the compound for up to 2 days after consuming edibles such as CBD drinks.
CBD tinctures, which are given orally by positioning under the tongue, are absorbed into the blood quickly, which makes CBD’s availability faster. CBD sprays (when used sublingually) and tinctures may show effect within 15 to 45 minutes.
Products such as CBD lotions and creams, balms and salves are known to offer closer to immediate relief. Topicals are formulated for direct application on the problematic spot. They provide almost instant relief.
This ability to act quickly makes topicals a preferred form of CBD intake for muscle spasms, joint aches and other external conditions.
- Fat-Solubility of CBD – CBD is soluble in fat. This means that CBD is stored in your body’s fat cells. If you are an individual with high metabolism or with fat cells of lower density, then you are likely to release CBD faster. So, your body may have faster access to CBD stored in these cells. But, with such body type, effects of CBD also wear off faster as your body does not store CBD longer.
- Food – Taking CBD on an empty stomach makes its metabolism faster, which means the compound becomes available to the body faster. When you take CBD after food, metabolism becomes slower, which means your body gets CBD slower. This also means that the effects of CBD wear off faster when you take it on an empty stomach.
- CBD Dosage and Usage Frequency – Dosage and frequency may not influence how fast or slow CBD will be available to your body. But CBD works for a long time with increased dosage and frequency.
High dosage of CBD makes the compound available to the body for a long time. Consistent high dosage can make CBD stay in the body for as long as 3 to 4 weeks even after you stop CBD intake.
Certain medications may determine how efficient CBD is, for your body. So, even if you consume CBD in a form that is instantly available to the body, you may not feel the effects because of your medication. Talk to your doctor to know the possible effects of your medication on your CBD intake.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Start with a lower dosage of CBD. Monitor how CBD works for your body. Increase dosage slowly in accordance with your doctor’s instructions.
- An individual’s diet and metabolism also determine on how long CBD takes to show effect.
It needs to be understood that currently there are no set standards pertaining to CBD dosage. As a result, it is not possible to accurately determine the time taken by CBD to act on an individual. Different factors as explained above also influence the time taken for CBD results to show, which adds to the complication.
Healthcare professionals and researchers may be able to provide an accurate time period that CBD takes to work with more extensive studies.
We recommend sticking to a consistent amount above 17mg a day for at least 30 days. Everyone is different and some must give it some time before they truly enjoy all the benefits CBD has to offer.